Use Alexa to control your lights with your voice and create custom automations with all the smart devices in your home.
What you need to have
Let’s make sure you have everything you need to connect Philips Hue to Alexa.
Philips Hue lights
All Philips Hue lights can be connected to and controlled with Amazon Alexa.
Whether you choose a screen or a speaker, you’ll need a smart device that works with Alexa.
Make sure you have the Alexa app downloaded onto your mobile device.
Hue Bridge (for full functionality)
While you can connect Philips Hue to Alexa with Bluetooth, the Hue Bridge unlocks even more features.
What you need to do
There are two ways to connect Hue lights to Alexa, depending on if you want to connect with a Hue Bridge or Bluetooth.
Set up with Bridge
- Open the Amazon Alexa app.
- In the More tab, tap Skills & Games.
- Tap the search icon in the top right corner.
- Type “Philips Hue” in the search bar. Tap the Hue skill.
- Tap Enable to use.
- You will be redirected to your Philips Hue account page. Sign into your account.
- Select the Hue Bridge you want to link and tap Next.
- Tap Agree and continue.
- Tap Close.
Set up Philips Hue with Bluetooth
- Turn on your Philips Hue smart lights. If Alexa or your Alexa app says, “New light found,” your device is ready to use.
- If your Echo device does not discover the light, say, “Alexa, discover devices.” Once your light is discovered, say, “Alexa, turn on first light.”
Just say, “Alexa...”
Once you’ve connected Philips Hue to Alexa, test these popular voice commands!