There are two ways to connect a Hue dimmer switch to your system: with a Hue Bridge or with Bluetooth.
How to set up a Hue dimmer switch
Connect with a Hue Bridge
With a Hue Bridge, you can fully customise your Hue dimmer switch – and set-up is simple.
Before you start setting up
Is your Hue Bridge connected and added to the Hue app?
Your Hue Bridge should already be plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and added to your Hue app. If you haven’t done that yet, first install your Hue Bridge.
Set up a Hue dimmer switch with a Hue Bridge
- Open the Hue app.
- Go to the Settings tab and tap Accessories.
3. Tap Add accessory.
4. Tap Hue dimmer switch.
5. If your dimmer switch has a plastic strip sticking out of the battery compartment, remove it. The dimmer switch should blink orange. If your dimmer switch doesn’t have a plastic strip or the dimmer switch does not blink, press and hold the set-up button on the back of the dimmer switch until it starts blinking.
6. Once the Hue app has found the dimmer switch, follow the on-screen instructions. You will be able to select which Room or Zone the dimmer switch controls, as well as what the buttons do.
If you need additional help setting up your dimmer switch, browse our FAQ or get in touch with Philips Hue Support.
Hue dimmer switch FAQ >
Connect with Bluetooth
1. Hold the dimmer switch up to the light you want to control. Stay within 15 cm of the light.
2. Press and hold the on button for three seconds until the green light starts to blink.
3. Repeat for up to 10 bulbs.
4. To remove a light from the Hue dimmer switch, repeat the same process, but hold the off button for 10 seconds.
*When a bulb displays "Up to" a certain number of lumens in its specifications, it displays the maximum lumen output of the bulb. It shows how bright the bulb can get at 2700 K (White bulbs) or 4000 K (White ambiance or White and colour ambiance bulbs). Learn more about brightness.